Financial Dashboard – Case Study

“To comply with a non-disclosure agreement, I have omitted and obfuscated confidential information in this case study. All information in this case study is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of Security Finance.”

The Financial Dashboard is a web redesign of a legacy Power builder application that allows C-level officers to digest financial information easily. Unfortunately, the legacy application needed an overhaul, and I was tasked with creating a new dashboard that was useful, usable, and desirable while reducing cognitive overload.

Task

This project is for a company that handles loan collection. The task was to design a web platform that made financial data easier for supervisors to understand and assimilate.

  • Strategy

    User Experience methodology

  • Design

    Product design

  • Client

    Security Finance

  • Tools

    Moleskin Flow, Figma, Ant Design

  • Team

    Business analyst, product designer, product manager, developers

  • Tags

    Product design, UX Strategy

The solution

I ran a week of design sprints and user testing based on the user experience process, which includes four stages: discover, refine, design, and test.

My role

On this project, I was a UX generalist. I led a team of staff and stakeholders to go through a design sprint and develop ideations and deliverables. Some of the deliverables were empathy maps and journey maps. In addition, I got new insights from usability tests as we released multiple iterations of the system to the entire company.

User testing and iterations

I made sketches on whiteboards in the office after conducting interviews with the users of the platform. Finally, I designed all the use cases and tested them with users by showing them proposed sketches and workflows. I chose the user experience process because of the time constraints. Since this was software in development, implementation was fast-paced, and testing was paramount.

Dashboard iteration

Iteration summary

  • Had a side bar for easy navigation
  • Reduced colors compared to existing implementation
  • Cards used to display metrics
  • Fancy modern were charts

User-testing results

I made sketches on whiteboards in the office after conducting interviews with the users of the platform. Finally, I designed all the use cases and tested them with users by showing them proposed sketches and workflows. I chose the user experience process because of the time constraints. Since this was software in development, implementation was fast-paced, and testing was paramount.

    • A set of users complained about the sidebar navigation taking up much space. We decided to dig into this in more detail. We realized that on large screens, the sidebar navigation was adequate. However, 90% of users at the company used desktops with small screen sizes, less than 768px.
      The reduced colors were liked by 97% of the users.
    • The cards made things easy to understand, so more cards were requested.
    • We removed fancy charts and used traditional charts to increase information assimilation and reduce the learning curve. The majority of users preferred charts they already knew.
    • We used responsive fonts for users with small screens. This implementation meant that no matter the screen size, the text was still legible.

Results

I created a scalable design system on Figma that allowed for changes to be made as the platform scaled. After weeks of Usability testing and A/B testing, the team developed and shipped a fully functional web dashboard that helped the C-level officers quickly digest financial information.

Across a user survey, the new dashboard increased user satisfaction from  40% to 84%. In addition, the dashboard helped management see metrics easily while increasing the “skim-ability” of the dashboard 🕺🏾.

Lessons learned

Hindsight is 20-20 they say. I spent a good amount of time talking with C-level executives about the business goal and their perceived notion of the challenges of the marketing team. From speaking with the Marketing team I learned the actual issues they were facing. User research is a must.

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies.